Lindholm rose to a third place in the WRC2 class’ World Championship points
20 March 2023
The reigning champions of the WRC2 class, Emil Lindholm and Reeta Hämäläinen, finished second in their class and seventh in overall competition in WRC Guanajuato Rally México. The result lifted the pair from eighth place to third in WRC2 class’ World Championship points.
Emil Lindholm and Reeta Hämäläinen, who drove Team GRX’s Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo, rose from a third place to asecond on the final day of the WRC Guanajuato Rally México. Driving on the demanding gravel roads of México for the first time, the two were able to maintain a good pace throughout the rally.
The duo, who reached two fastest times of Sunday's four special stages, eventually took second place without much of a fight. Ford´s Adrien Fourmaux, who was driving six seconds ahead of the two, had to change the alternator belt in his car in the middle of a special stage, which made him fall out of the top three in the final results.
On the Power Stage, which ended the rally, Lindholm clocked the second fastest time after Fourmaux, earning two additional points.
- The Power Stage was not good driving from us and the road cleared after us really significantly. We made a couple of clear mistakes, but the second place from there (Power Stage) was an okay result.
- México was an interesting competition for us. More special what I thought beforehand and what we were warned about. The biggest issue was not the lack of engine power, but the lack of grip on slippery and loose gravel. I don't really enjoy being in situations where you have to drive really hard with bad grip.
- When I started to be careful, I immediately fell behind by almost a second a kilometer. When you feel the grip and take a few corners on a long stretch carefully, you will immediately fall behind significantly, Lindholm reminded.
On Sunday, on the longest special stage of the rally, Lindholm admitted that he dropped too much speed when he saw Adrien Fourmaux, who was driving second, on the side of the road.
- I slowed down because we got second, but at the same time I slowed down too much and let Oliver (Solberg) get too close. Rally is rally and in the terms of the World Championship battle, we got good important points. The result was the maximum that could realistically be obtained.
- My own doing was not at the level it should be and what it usually is. And there will be a cure for that in the time to come. In terms of the future, it was a good decision for us to come here. Our team also agreed.
The next time Lindholm and Hämäläinen will be seen at the World Rally Championship level is at the end of April in WRC Croatia Rally.
Final results: WRC Guanajuato Rally México, León, WRC2-class:
1. Gus Greensmith (GB) – Jonas Andersson (SWE) Škoda Fabia RS Rally2: 3:28:40,0
2. Emil Lindholm – Reeta Hämäläinen Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo: + 32,9
3. Oliver Solberg (SWE) – Elliot Edmondson (GB) Škoda Fabia RS Rally2: + 1:06,2
WRC2-class points after WRC Guanajuato Rally México:
1. Oliver Solberg (SWE) Škoda 43
2. Yohan Rossel (F) Citroën 28
3. Emil Lindholm (FIN) Škoda 28
4. Gus Greensmith (GB) Škoda 26
In the 2023 season, Emil and Reeta will drive in the WRC 2 series.
*Not confirmed rally.