Lindholm opens the route at the Finnish Rally Championships summer opener in Turku
11 May 2022
Team GRX's Emil Lindholm and Reeta Hämäläinen, who are leading SM1-class, will start the Finnish Rally Championship summer season with a starting position number 1 on this upcoming Friday.
Emil Lindholm and Reeta Hämäläinen, who are competing with TGS Worldwide's Škoda, will start the Finnish Rally Championship summer season from the SM1-class’ first place. Last week, Lindholm ran preparatory tests for the rally, in which he got familiar with every gravel tire option available.
- Important tests, as I have never driven the SM series with Pirelli gravel tires in summer conditions before. The tire used in the World Rally Championship is a little different from the tires available to us for national races.
- All options were very close to the tire used in the WRC. Now I know what kind of options are available to us for different circumstances. No changes had to be made to the car. When I sat behind the wheel after the spring break, I immediately started pushing it. The car felt really good, Lindholm said.
The first two special stages of the summer season will be competed in Turku on asphalt surface.
- Already last year, I thought it is nice and fun variation to drive asphalt in the Finnish Championship Rally as well. I’m happy to go to drive Friday's special stages. This time I didn’t have time to test driving on gravel tires on asphalt, but I’m not going to let that bother me, Lindholm smiles.
Lindholm, who is driving in the SM1 class points lead, is happy to start on the challenging and fast roads in the Turku region.
- Challenging and certainly fast-paced roads are waiting for us but we have a good package together in Turku. We’re looking for the best possible result. Let's see how situations develop. If we feel good then we’ll go for it. If conditions are challenging then we can control the risks a little more because we are not forced to win. We’ll make good pace notes and go from there, Lindholm plans.
The opening of the FRC summer season will start next Friday at 20:01 in Kupittaanpuisto, Turku. During the evening, two asphalt special stages, with a total length of 16.99 km will be driven in the Masku and Nousiainen areas.
The rally will continue on Saturday with seven special stages (88.65 km). During Saturday, the competitors will have service twice at Turku Veritas Stadium (11:22 and 15:09). The first competitors are expected to return to the finish of the rally in Kupittaa Park starting from 5:54 pm.
SM1-points after 3/7 rounds:
1. Emil Lindholm Škoda 61
2. Egon Kaur (EE) Volkswagen 53
3. Teemu Asunmaa Škoda 44
4. Mikko Heikkilä Škoda 38
5. Aleksi Röyhkiö Volkswagen 36
6. Juha Salo Škoda 28